Sunday 9 March 2008

Maple bowl


Made this Rob Wood style porager out of a nice lump of field maple. My god he earns his money making these . .
Firstly it took ages and I had to sharpen the tools twice (Maple and sycamore take up silica from the soil so this blunts the tools quicker than say beech or birch). The flange took most of the time and then you cut most of it away to form the handles! This trimming of the flange I thought I'd do mainly with the axe but ended up using a 1" chisel in the vise.
Had a go with a ring tool I acquired and thought it was rubbish.

It's very satisfying to eat from a bowl you've made yourself. We also have a spurtle for stirring the porridge that I made 6 or 7 years ago. The abrasive nature of the oats has given the end an almost glassy surface.

4 comments:

rika said...

Hallo, Treewright:) I haven't read "The Storyteller's Daughter"; should I have? Textbooks and Pratchett are good choices. I really need to start binging on the Discworld novels soon. got a favourite?

If you log yourself into Blogger, and view your blog, there is a bar at the top of the window that names your username, asks if you want to add a new post, log out or "Customise". Click "Customise" and then scroll down to the bottom of the page. In the sidebar and at the bottom you can add or edit page elements. Choose "Add Element" and use the "Java/HTML" option. Then paste the code there. That is what I did, anyway. Let me know if you need help! It's a new feature to Blogger in the past few months and it is taking me a while to get used to, also.

Robin Fawcett said...

As you'll see I managed to install the counter. I'll possibly get most hits by looking myself to see how many I've had!

Robin Wood said...

Nice bowl Robin and especially nice in field maple. Its such a nice wood, our favorite for spoons though its not so common up here as down your neck of the woods. Do you ever get burr field maple. I am always looking for it to make mazer bowls but its rare up here.

Robin Fawcett said...

I hardly ever get any field maple in big sizes Rob let alone burrs - I think the "burr bandits" get there before me!
You should see the bowl now. It was quite green when I made it and now its warped into a very weird shape.