Sunday 26 July 2009

Stock Knife

I've been experimenting using a stock knife to rough out spoon blanks - with some freshly purloined Silver Birch it cut like a dream.

The long handle enables you to cut with a massive shearing action like a guillotine. Also known as a peg knife, it is used to make tent pegs. By far the most common use is by cloggers who use several different shapes to carve clog soles.

It's quite a rare tool. Vanessa found this one in an antiques emporium in Halstead, Essex several years ago. She was poking about and found it where it had dropped down the back of a shelf. It cost £14 - I also got a Philadelphia Disston Cross-cut saw with helper handle in very good nick for £4! - that was a good day.

I hadn't done much to it since except replace the old, wormy, willow(?) handle with a new ash one. Today I gave it a grind and sharpen and had a go. I'm glad I did . . .



Yesterday was Linslade Canal Festival which I always look forward to and enjoy. The bonus was that the sun shone all day, loads of people came out and we made some good sales.



I make no apologies for posting this picture again from last years Festival. Dick died earlier this year but he was really the reason that we got Jed. Here chatting with his old mate John Browning - thatching spar maker.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello from America. I am originaly from Monmouth, my family ran a cooperage, we employed gangs of clog sole cutters "in Season' to travel the banks of the streams in the Welsh borders, cutting and stacking clog soles. The reason I am posting is that my grandfather always said that a Bodger was a man who only did PART of a job ie. Anyone who made PARTS, rungs, legs, etc was a bodger. Hence the "man who does only half a job" connotation. I would realy like to see some discussion about this, the "Part Maker" bodger connection is a sound link in my mind.

Unknown said...

Hello,
Thanks For your information. You explains superb and your information is useful.hunting knives